Malai (cream) Chicken Tikka are skewered cubes of boneless chicken cooked in a tandoor or a clay oven. The secret ingredient in this recipe is the cheese which adds to the creaminess of the dish.
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1\2 tsp salt
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, approx 310g (11 oz), cut into 2cm (4/5 inch) pieces
- 2 tbsp Greek-style natural unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) butter
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 3 green cardamoms, seeds only
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 green finger chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Sprinkle lemon juice and salt over the chicken pieces, cover and set aside.
- Mix the yogurt, half of the butter, cream, garlic ginger paste, cardamoms, cumin, nutmeg, chillies, the oil, and cheese and blend into a smooth paste. Pour over the chicken, making sure it is all well coated, and marinate the meat for 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Soak 4 - 6 wooden skewers in cold water for 15 minutes to prevent them from burning. Skewer the chicken and barbecue, or grill under a preheated grill, for 10 minutes on each side until light brown and cooked through, or simply bake in a preheated 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Halfway through the cooking, baste with the remaining butter (melted).
- Serve hot with green mint chutney and tandoori naans.